Green bean casserole topped with crispy fried onions is a Thanksgiving staple in many homes, and Lisa Leslie's take on it using Boston Market's green beans will be a hit on the big night.
- 6 cups Boston Market® Green Beans
- 1 pound button mushrooms, quartered and stemmed
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan garlic bread crumbs
- ½ cup fried onions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion, garlic and sauté until it begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and mushrooms, and cook until softened and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add ¼ cup flour, whisk constantly until mixture begins to turn a light almond color, about 2 minutes. Pour in milk, and continue whisking until mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in cayenne pepper, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Add mushroom and bell pepper mixture. Toss with green beans.
- Butter a 6” x 12” x 2” casserole dish. Spread half the green bean mixture over the bottom. Sprinkle on half the shredded Parmesan, and spread with the remaining green beans. Combine the remaining Parmesan and breadcrumbs, and sprinkle over casserole.
- Place in preheated oven. Cook covered, until mixture is bubbly and heated through, about 10 minutes. Uncover, and cook until top is golden brown, about 30 seconds. Top with fried onions and serve immediately.