This ultimate comfort food mashup is the brainchild of food blogger Dax Phillips. Use your favorite macaroni and cheese as a burger topper. It's like Hamburger Helper in a bun but so much better.
- ½ lb ground chuck
- 1 hamburger bun, sliced
- ½ cup of caramelized onions
- ½ cup of macaroni and cheese
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- I like to begin by caramelizing the onions first. This allows me to provide some nice aromatherapy for the family members, while at the same time allowing me to season my cast iron skillet that I cook the burgers in. I will let you decide on which route to take. While the onions are cooking, form your ground chuck into a nice ball. We will smash that ball when we are ready to make the burgers. Season the top of the ball with a generous pinch of that salt.
- Once the onions are done cooking, remove them from the skillet, and set them aside.
- Bring up the heat to the skillet to a medium high heat. Add the burger to the middle, and let this cook for a few minutes.
- Mac and Cheese Burger Recipe
- With a large spatula smash the burger down, completely flattening it. Let cook another minute, then flip it over. You should have an awesome, caramelized burger. Season with a bit more salt, then add the caramelized onions to the top, and cover the onions with the mac and cheese. After a couple of minutes, flip the burger, allowing the mac and cheese to warm through, and get a nice crisp onto the noodles.
- Remove and place onto your sliced bun. Get ready to dig in. This burger is pretty darn amazing. It is everything you expect in a great cheese burger but with this great texture from the mac and cheese. If you happen to have any leftover mac and cheese, try topping some on your next burger and let me know what you think of this creation. Hope you enjoy.