Elvis was well known for his peanut butter and banana sandwiches. And you can't go wrong using fresh cookies to amp of the flavor in these gourmet campfire treats. In this recipe, I’ve combined the elements of a traditional s’more with two of the King's favorite things and added just a drizzle of something fun-- tequila.
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1⁄2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1⁄2 tsp Salt
- 1⁄2 Cup Butter, Unsalted, Room Temperature
- 3⁄4 Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1⁄2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, Beaten
- 1 Cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 3 Cups Chocolate Chips
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 3 Under-Ripe Bananas
- 1 TBS Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Piloconcillo or Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon Ground
- 1⁄2 tsp Sea Salt Crystals
- 2 TBS Herradura Reposado Tequila
- 12 Marshmallows
- 6 Milk Chocolate Bars Broken In Half
Make The Peanut Butter Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in the white sugar and brown sugar. Slowly blend in the eggs and peanut butter until just combined. Add the flour mixture and beat until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Form the dough into golf ball size balls and arrange on the prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten each dough ball with the back of the fork in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes until the cookies are golden brown. Remove the cookies from the baking sheet and place on a wire rack to cool.
Prepare The Grilled Bananas:
- Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the grill grates lightly with olive oil to prevent the Bananas from sticking.
- Combine the Piloconcillo and cinnamon and place in a shallow mixing Bowl. Set Aside. Peel the bananas and cut in half lengthwise and then in half widthwise. Lightly drizzle with Lemon Juice.
- Toss the bananas in the cinnamon- sugar mixture and place on the gill cut side down. Grill for 6 minutes, turning once. Remove the bananas from the grill. Sprinkle with Sea Salt and drizzle with Herradura Reposado Tequila. Set aside while you heat the marshmallow.
To Assemble S'mores:
- Place the marshmallow on a skewer and heat as desired over an open fire. Place a grilled banana slice on top of the peanut butter cookie followed by the hot marshmallow. Top with a square of the chocolate push all together tightly with a second cookie.
Chef Shannon Bard
Devoted wife and mother, Shannon Bard is an innovative chef/owner of two New England eateries --Mixteca in Durham, New Hampshire and Zapoteca in Portland, Maine. She has been honored with numerous awards, including “Best of New Hampshire” and “Top Of The Crop Best Farm To Table Restaurant" Finalist, Portland Harvest On The Harbor. She recently cooked at the James Beard House and made her national television debut on the new Food Network series “Beat Bobby Flay." Shannon’s new cookbook, The Gourmet Mexican Kitchen, will debut in 2015.