Summer is a great time to liven up a traditional chili dog with zesty jalapeno peppers. Farmer's markets are filled with fresh produce this time of year and flavors are at their peak. This recipe from Coupon Clipping Cook features the best ingredients from summer's bounty.
- 2 cups chili
- 2 hot dogs
- 2 hot dog buns
- 1 tomato (medium size)
- 2 jalapeno or serrano hot peppers
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- If you use a grill to cook the hot dogs, start by heating the grill (hot dogs cook well on a low setting).
- Chop the onions, tomatoes, and hot peppers. Then cut the avocado into bite size pieces and grate the cheese.
- Put the onions, tomatoes, hot peppers, avocado and cheese on a plate or in bowls and set aside.
- Next, heat the chili in a small pan or in the microwave.
- Add the hot dogs to the grill (or boil them, or cook in the microwave if you like). Turn them every 2 minutes until there are grill marks on each side.
- Then add the buns face down on the grill (or toast, or steam them if you prefer). One way to steam them is to lay a small cooling rack over a pot of boil water for a minute or so; just long enough for the buns to get soft.
- Lay the toasted or steamed buns on a plate and add about ½ cup of the warm chili to each bun. Then add the hot dog.
- Next add the rest of the chili on top of each hot dog. Top with the cheese, onions, tomatoes, avocados and hot peppers.
- Mix the sour cream and salsa together and add to the top of all the ingredients.
- Lastly, garnish with any remaining ingredients such as the cheese, onions and more hot peppers.