Don't wait for a baseball game to eat hot dogs, pretzels and peanuts. Put them together in this fun and inventive hot dog recipe from The Coupon Clipping Cook. It's a dish that will delight sports fans and the whole family. The fresh slaw is also a fantastic way to sneak healthy vegtables into an outdoor favorite.
For the Slaw
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage (heaping)
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Hot Dogs:
- 3 hot dogs
- 3 pretzel hot dog buns (or your favorite hot dog buns)
- ¾ cup whole honey roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds (for garnish)
- In a small bowl add the mayonnaise, yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, and honey. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl add the cabbage, carrots, green onion, salt, pepper, and the honey mustard mixture.
- Toss all ingredients together until the cabbage mixture is lightly coated. Set the slaw mixture aside for a moment.
- Coarsely chop the honey roasted peanuts and set aside.
- Grill, microwave or boil the hot dogs.
- Cut the pretzel rolls in half lengthwise leaving the bottom of the bun uncut about an inch from the bottom.
- Lay some of the slaw in the bottom of the bun. Add the hot dog.
- Top the hot dog with a bit of mustard, the remaining slaw, chopped peanuts, and garnish with the black sesame seeds.