Soft Shell Crab season is here and these special crustaceans are tasty and much easier to make than you might think. This recipe from Delicatessen in New York City is truly modern East Coast classic with an old bay remoulade and ramp salsa.
- 2 soft shell crabs
- 1⁄4 cup wondra flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable or soy oil
- 3 cobs of corn
- 1⁄2 diced small red onion
- 1 Tbls chopped parsley
- 4 Tbls fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 cup high quality mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chopped basil
- 2 Tbls chopped ramps
- 1 Tbls old bay seasoning
- 1 chopped shallot
- 2 tsp chopped gherkins
Method for Salsa
- Strip corn from cob.
- Heat medium heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Add 1Tbls of oil to pan. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add corn and cook until corn is caramelized.
- Deglaze pan with 2Tbls lemon juice and remove pan from heat.
- Add paprika, basil, ramps, parsley, 1 tsp mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Method for Remoulade
- 1. Combine chopped shallots, gherkins, old bay seasoning, 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tbls lemon juice in a bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Method for Crabs
- Clean soft shell crabs.
- Preheat a heavy duty large pan over medium heat. Add remaining oil.
- Dust crabs with wondra flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Gently place crabs into pan. Cook for 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Gently spoon 1 spoonful of remoulade on each serving plate. Place 2Tabls of salsa perpendicular to remoulade on the plate. Place crab on top.