Hey moms, here is a sweet and salty treat from Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants to make especially for your dad or husband on Father's Day!
For the Doughnuts
- 1/2 ounce fresh yeast
- 1 cup stout beer
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose-flour
For the Bacon Jam
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 onions diced
- 3 cup sugar
- 1 cup stout beer
For the Salted Caramel Glaze
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast in warm beer (make sure beer is 100-120 degrees).
- Add flour and sugar and mix in mixer with dough hook attachment.
- Add vanilla and egg yolks one at a time allowing eggs to incorporate into dough.
- Add cream and butter mixing well slowly increasing speed to high. When dough pulls away from side it is ready.
- Cover dough in a bowl and keep in at room temperature and allow to rise and double in size.
- Portion dough and roll into small balls about an oz in weight.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and cover.
- Refrigerate for one hour, then deep fry at 350 degrees until golden brown.
- Cook bacon and onions together in a pot until slightly brown.
- Add beer, balsamic and sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until slightly thick (about 30 minutes)
- Using a blender, blend mixture until smooth and thick.
- Cool and mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Once cooled you can fill doughnut holes with bacon Jam using a piping bag.
- Stir sugar, 2 tablespoons water and corn syrup in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat; boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in cream, salt, butter and vanilla (be careful for bubbling caramel).
- Place pan over low heat and stir until sauce thickens.