Paella is a great dish to serve at a party since its served family style. There's something for everyone - try it with shrimp, clams, chorizo, or chicken.
- 1 cup Calasparra/Bomba Rice
- 10 threads of saffron
- 1 cup sliced Spanish chorizo
- ¼ cup of the following: Diced red pepper, sliced scallion bottoms, Sofregit ( 1 onion small diced and cooked in olive oil, add 2 cups of tomato paste, slow toast down for 5 min) and Spanish onions that have been sautéed in olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chicken breast/thigh meat
- 1 ½ cup of lobster stock, 1 ½ cup chicken stock, 1 ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 top neck/count neck clams
- 3 shrimp
- 15 mussels
- ½ cup English peas
- ¼ cup sliced scallion tops, olive oil and sea salt to garnish
- Combine garlic, onion, Sofregit, scallion bottoms, chicken, chorizo, salt & pepper in paella pan and sautee for 4-5 min.
- Add: Rice and Saffron, stir around evenly coating and toast for 4-5 min. Evenly distribute/flatten out rice in pan and add all stocks and turn the heat up to high.
- Once boiling add theclams and cook 5-10 minutes until they open up and rice grains are clearly visible. Add mussels and turn down to medium heat.
- Once mussels open, add shrimp and peas and keep on medium heat until shrimp and rice are both cooked creating a crispy bottom called “Socarrat,” adding stock as necessary.
- Garnish with olive oil, scallions and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Bissonnette is a champion of nose-to-tail cuisine and is well-known locally and nationally for his exceptional charcuterie and passionate dedication to supporting local, sustainable purveyors. As chef and owner of Coppa and Toro in Boston, and Toro in New York City, Bissonnette continues to helm the kitchens of his award-winning restaurants, and can be found at nightly overseeing his menus of innovative small plates and nose to tail cooking. Read more about Jamie Bissonnette.