David Burke loves this dish because it maintains a certain whimsy but is very reminiscent of a dish that moms have made for years. The peanut butter elevates a childhood favorite taste into truly gourmet fare.
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 thick slices of brioche, or challah bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Peanut Butter Mousse
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
Strawberry rhubarb jam
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 1 cup rhubarb, trimmed and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pectin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
To make French toast
- Beat together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk until smooth and pour until a shallow bowl. Dip sliced bread into the French toast mixture on both sides. Melt butter over a large skillet on medium high heat. Fry until brown on both sides.
To make mouse
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add confectioners’ sugar until fully combined. Add seeds of vanilla beans and peanut butter. Fully combine until smooth. Place mousse in a piping bag.
Strawberry rhubarb jam preparation
- Place strawberries, rhubarb, 2 ½ cups sugar, and lime juice in a large pot over medium high heat. Bring to a rapid boil, stirring constantly. Once boiling, whisk together remaining ½ cup sugar and pectin, and whisk into jam mixture. Continue stirring jam on medium high heat until fully thickened. Set aside and allow to fully cool.
French toast layer assembly
- Using a 1 inch ring cutter, punch out the center of the warm French toast. Using a pastry bag, pipe the peanut butter mousse until the center is filled. Spread strawberry-rhubarb jam on the plate, and place warm French toast on top. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with maple syrup on the side.
David Burke's mastery of French culinary technique was confirmed when he won France's coveted Meilleurs Ouvriers de France Diplome d'Honneur at age 26. His talents have been showcased recently on television, including season two of "Top Chef Masters," and a guest spot on the "Every Day with Rachael Ray" show. Read more about David Burke.