- 1 Sheet silver gelatin or 2/3 tsp powdered gelatin
- 3 Egg yolks (60 grams)
- 2 tablespoon sugar (20 grams)
- 8 ounce dark chocolate (227 grams)
- 2 cup heavy cream (485 grams)
- Whip the cream to a medium peak in a Kitchen Aid. Reserve in the refrigerator.
- Melt the chocolate and reserve at 115 F.
- Bloom gelatin according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Place egg yolks and sugar into a Kitchen Aid bowl and place over a saucepan of boiling water, being careful that just steam hits the bottom of the bowl. Whisk by hand until eggs and sugar become light and fluffy,then place the bowl on the Kitchen Aid and whip for 2 minutes.
- Melt the bloomed gelatin and be sure it is well above body temperature. Take a small amount of the egg mixture and mix into the gelatin until combined, then pour the gelatin into the rest of the egg mixture and whip until combined.
- Take the warm, melted chocolate and place in a large bowl. Fold 1/2 of whipped cream into the chocolate and mix quickly until the chocolate forms a ganache-type paste. Fold in the egg mixture, and then fold in the rest of the whipped cream.
- Spoon the mousse into 8-10 ramekins or individual bowls, cover with plastic and refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.
- Garnishes: Feel free to use chopped chocolate, whipped cream or fresh fruit.