I don’t know which I love more – the crunch and heat of the chile butter on the sourdough, or the sweet corn dotting the smoky Gouda (smoked cheddar is another great option, and it melts better than Gouda). By all means, don’t wait until summer to taste this! Give it a try with frozen corn any time of the year. For more recipes like this, visit PaniniHappy.com.
- 4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 Teaspoon chile powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8 Slices sourdough or other rustic white bread, sliced from a dense bakery loaf
- 8 Ounces smoked Gouda or smoked cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup cooked corn, ideally fresh from the cob
- 2 Tablespoons chopped scallions
- In a small bowl mix the butter, chile powder, and cayenne pepper until they’re well combined.
- For each sandwich: Spread chile butter on two slices of bread to flavor the outside of the sandwich. Flip over one slice of bread and top it with cheese, corn, scallions, and more cheese. Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Grill two panini at a time, with the lid closed, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, 4 to 5 minutes.