This extreme chocolate layer cake from the Four Seasons Hotel Boston will definitely up the romance factor after a savory Valentine's meal.
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ¼ Cup Yogurt (plain)
- 3 Eggs
- ½ Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Coffee (brewed)
Vanilla Butter Cream
- 1 Cup Butter
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tsp. Bourbon Vanilla
- ¼ Cup (Frozen) Egg Whites
To prepare frosting
- Mix together sugar, butter and salt in bowl on low speed. Add vanilla and frozen egg whites and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Put sugar in mixing bowl.
- Sift dry ingredients, add to sugar in bowl, mix to combine.
- Combine vanilla, yogurt and eggs.
- Put whole butter straight into hot coffee to melt butter and temper coffee.
- Mix for 1 minute to combine and scrape bowl well.
- Mix for additional 7 minutes.
- Bake at 350 Degrees for 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut cake into 1/2 inch layers.
To assemble cake layers
- Layer two layers of cake and then one layer of Buttercream frosting. Repeat. After the Buttercream sets, apply a thin layer of ganache to seal the cake.
- To decorate, add frosting and gold leaf. Garnish with Waverly Chocolate Sticks.