This hearty sandwich is great for brunch and lunch anytime. Chef Louis serves this on the lunch menu at Sunshine Tavern in Portland.
- 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- 4 slices brioche bread
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 6 thin slices turkey
- 6 thin slices ham
- 2 eggs
- 2 T olive oil
- Maldon sea salt to taste
- 4 T marrionberry jam
- Heat 5 inches of oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). While oil is heating, make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; whisk into the egg mixture until smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Assemble sandwiches by placing one slice of turkey on one slice of bread, a slice of ham onanother, then sandwich them with the Swiss cheese in the middle. Secure sandwich with toothpicks.
- Set non-stick pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then crack egg into pan. Place in 400degree oven and cook white is set and yolk is runny.
- Dip each sandwich in the batter so that all sides are coated. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove toothpicks and arrange on a plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar, then fried egg just before serving. Sprinkle a tiny bit of maldon salt over egg yolk and serve with a ramekin of marrionberry preserves.
Chef Jenn Louis
Chef Jenn Louis is the driving force behind the critically acclaimed Portland, Ore., restaurants Lincoln and Sunshine Tavern, and Culinary Artistry catering. Known for her purposeful and fun approach to both food and life, Jenn’s been honored as a Food & Wine magazine “Best New Chef” in 2012, and was most recently a cast member on the fifth season of the popular Bravo TV show, “Top Chef Masters.”