A whole-wheat crust and a filling made with reduced-fat milk and low-fat Greek yogurt in lieu of heavy cream make this dark, rich chocolate pie a bit more virtuous than others, and just as delicious. See more at HealthyRecipesBlogs.com.
- 1 1/4 Cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 Cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 7 Tablespoons (100 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2-4 Tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- 6 Ounce high-quality dark chocolate (60% cacao), broken into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 Cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 Cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- Prepare dough according to these directions: whole-wheat pie crust recipe.
- While crust is cooling, prepare the filling. Place chocolate and butter in a large saucepan. Slowly melt over low heat, stirring often.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and yogurt, then add the milk. Add the flour and whisk well to combine.
- When chocolate is melted, turn heat off. Pour a small amount of the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture (about 2 tablespoons), whisking constantly. Keep pouring the egg mixture, slowly, whisking, until incorporated.
- Sift the powdered sugar through a fine-mesh strainer into the chocolate-egg mixture. Whisk until everything is well-incorporated.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pie crust. Bake 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees F, shielding the crust with foil strips if you need to bake longer than 45 minutes. Pie is ready when the center is slightly puffed and a toothpick inserted in it comes out clean. Cool 2 hours in pan on a wire rack before slicing and serving.