A beautiful cocktail with a honey-yellow hue. Guests will be intrigued by the complex layers of flavor in one glass.
Honey and Saffron Liquor
- 350 g (12 oz/1 cup) honey
- 1/2 vanilla bean, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- a small pinch of saffron threads
- 3 strips of lemon zest, white pith removed
- 750 ml (26 fl oz/3 cups) Polish vodka
For the Cocktail
- 1 ounce of Honey and Saffron Liquor (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon of Morris Kitchen Ginger Syrup (or more if you like a lot of ginger)
- Champagne, chilled
- Flavored sugar for decoration (Recommended: Bourbon Smoked Sugar from Eat Boutique)
- A spring of thyme
To Prepare the Honey Saffrom Liquor
- Put the honey, 125 ml (4 fl oz/ 1/2 cup) water, the vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, nutmeg and saffron in a saucepan and bring just to the boil. Quickly reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lemon zest and set aside to infuse for 20 minutes. Reheat until simmering, then remove from the heat, cool completely, strain, then stir in the vodka. Carefully pour into a sterilized airtight bottle and allow to steep for a week. Serve chilled or slightly warmed.Makes about 1 liter for sipping or dozens of Champagne cocktails.
To assemble champagne cocktail
- Dip the top edge of an upright Champagne glass in a bit of water. Whip off any big drops by shaking your wrist while holding the glass. Dip the top edge of that glass into the sugar.
- To the glass, add the liquor and the syrup. Fill the glass with Champagne. Garnish with the thyme.
- Drink. Make again and drink again!