A refreshing twist on a Southern favorite. Use the best Champagne and bourbon you can afford to optimum results.
- 3 ounces Champagne or sparkling white wine
- 1 1/2 ounces Buffalo Trace bourbon (or Maker's Mark)
- 4 large mint leaves
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon simple syrup (to taste)
- Crushed ice
- Bunch the mint leaves between thumb and forefinger and give one good tear through the middle of the leaves.
- Drop into bottom of a tall Collins glass and pour in simple syrup on top, just enough to cover leaves. Muddle well.
- Add ice roughly to fill glass. Pour in bourbon. Stir very briefly. If necessary/desired, put in more ice at this step to refill to top
- Top off with Champagne. Once again, stir briefly.
- Taste and top off with more simple syrup if desired. Garnish with mint sprig.