Spicy and flavorful, this crunchy snack will make you see chick peas in a whole new way. The key to crisp chickpeas is to make sure they are really dry before going into the oven.
- 2 cans chickpeas
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground smoked spanish paprika (sweet or hot, if hot, reduce cayenne by 1/2)
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Line a second baking sheet with a clean kitchen towel or several layers of paper towel.
- Pour both cans of chickpeas into a meshed strainer or colander and rinse well under cold running water. Let drain for 5 minutes in the strainer, then dump chickpeas onto the towel-lined baking sheet and spread out evenly. Leave to dry on the counter for one hour
- 30 minutes before roasting, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the chickpeas on the parchment lined baking sheet and roast for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes to stir them up so that they all cook evenly. When ready, they'll be crisp, golden, and have shrunken slightly.
- Once crisp, remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil (about 1 to 2 tablespoons), sprinkle on the spice and season with Kosher salt. Toss to coat evenly and serve.