These cookes from A Kitchen Addiction are soft, pillowy, filled with chai spices and topped with a sweet eggnog buttercream The warmth of cinnamon and nutmeg brings out the eggnog flavor in the cookies, making the traditional holiday drink the main flavor.
For the Cookies:
- 2 1/4 Cup flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 Teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 Teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 Cup butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup eggnog
For the Frosting:
- 1 Cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon eggnog
- 1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cardamom, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Add in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Carefully beat in eggnog.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Drop by heaping teaspoon full onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bottoms just start to turn golden brown.
- Immediately transfer cookies to a paper towel covered flat surface. Allow to cool.
- Prepare frosting while cookies are cooling. Beat together confectioner’s sugar, butter, 1 tbsp eggnog and nutmeg until smooth. Add remaining teaspoon of eggnog to thin out the frosting.
- Frost cooled cookies and serve.