This rich, sourdough bread stuffing with sausage and braised fennel is sure to be a big winner at your Thanksgiving table.
- 1/2 Sourdough bread, cut into large dice and dried over night
- 2 Pieces Italian spicy sausage
- 1/2 cup braised fennel
- 1/4 cup carrot, small dice
- 1/4 cup onion, small dice
- 1/4 cup celery, small dice
- 1 Garlic clove, sliced thin
- 3 Sprigs thyme
- 2 Sprigs parsley
- 1 cup Chicken stock, or water
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- Salt and pepper
- In a large sauté pan start to caramelize the carrots, onions, celery, and garlic.
- When the vegetables begin to brown, add the sausage and cook until the sausage is fully cooked.
- Then add the fennel, butter, stock and herbs, and let this simmer for about two minutes.
- Then remove from the heat and add the dried sourdough bread. Toss lightly and put into a casserole or roasting dish.
- Place the dish under the broiler for two minutes, until the top of the stuffing begins to brown.
- Garnish with some chopped parsley and serve on the side with the whole roasted striped bass.