A comforting dish of Sicilian Baked Eggs combines fresh artichokes, buratta, spinach, tomato sauce and garlic croutons with soft eggs for a simple, rustic and classic Italian meal.
For the baked eggs:
- 8 Eggs
- 2 cup quartered artichoke hearts (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 Ball of burrata (appox. 8 oz) chopped to 8 pieces
- 4 ounce raw spinach (2 oz cooked spinach)
- 1 24-ounce jar of your favorite tomato sauce
- 2 cup garlic croutons (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley to garnish
For the spinach:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 ounce raw spinach
For the croutons:
- 4 Pieces day old bread
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove access water from artichokes, burrata and spinach.
- In a large, shallow casserole dish, spread the tomato sauce evenly in pan. Add chilies, salt & pepper. Place artichokes, cooked spinach, burrata, croutons evenly throughout pan.
- Crack eggs and place them on top of all ingredients evenly.
- Bake in oven for 20 – 25 minutes. Check that whites of eggs are cooked, tomato sauce is bubbling and yokes are not fully cooked- the egg yokes will cook when removed from oven so remove a minute or two before.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
- Sautee spinach on stovetop with 1 teaspoon olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Place spinach on paper towel to drain water.
- Slice day old bread into cubes.
- Drizzle bread with olive oil or melted butter, sprinkle minced garlic and parsley on bread and toast for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
The Smith is a casual American Brasserie with three upbeat locations in New York City, offering value-priced, seasonal American brasserie fare. Utilizing local products and purveyors, the breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner menus feature a selection of familiar bistro dishes. The Smith’s first outpost in the East Village has served as a casual and lively meeting spot since its opening in fall 2007. The Smith Midtown and The Smith Lincoln Center locations opened in the fall of 2011 and 2012 respectively.