A festive twist on a classic fondue recipe. Note that the cheese is shredded and tossed with flour to aid inthickening and to improve the viscosity of the fondue. The fondue should be the consistency of warm honey when completed. Monitor thecheese carefully as it is being added. Not all the cheese may be needed, and, in some cases, more cheese may be needed to reach the perfect consistency.
- 2 ¾ cups (11 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hard cider (Strongbow brand recommended)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed walnuts
- Toss the cheese with the flour in a bowl.
- Place a metal bowl over asaucepan filled with 2 inches of water. You may also use aconventional double boiler. Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and pour the hard cider into the bowl. Stirin the shallots, mustard and cranberries using a fork.
- Cook for 30seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add half of the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted, stirringconstantly.
- Add the remaining cheese a small amount at a time,stirring constantly in a circular motion after each addition until thecheese is melted. Stir in the pepper
- Pour into a warm fondue pot andkeep warm over low heat. Garnish with the walnuts.