A fresh salad for fall from Sirio Ristorante in New York.
- 1 lb baby mix beets
- 1/2 salt
- 1/4 pepper
- 1 head frisse
- 1 tsp chopped pistachios
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 10 pieces candied walnut
- Handful of fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, garlic)
- Red wine vinaigrette (emulsion of oil, red vinegar, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard)
- Blend half of the beets in a sauce pan and reduce the liquid by ¼.
- Cook the remaining beets in a casserole with the rosemary, thyme, garlic, oil and salt cover in the oven at 350F for 2 hours.
- After letting beets cool to room temperature, cut in half, then marinate with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- With a brush, create a large stripe on the serving plate with the beet reduction. Arrange the cooked beets along the reduction. Add goat cheese crumbled atop the beets.
- Toss the frisee salad in the red wine vinaigrette and loosely cover the beets.
- Finish by decorating the plate with candied walnut and chopped pistachio.
About Chef Massimo Bebber
Born and raised in Roncegno, a town in the province of Trento, Italy, Chef Bebber developed a passion for culinary pursuits at a very early age. After attending the Culinary Institute in Levico, Valsugana, Italy, where he received a degree in culinary arts, Bebber honed his gastronomic skills working in the kitchen at various luxury hotels and restaurants in Northern Italy for several years.
Seeking a new challenge and spurred by childhood friend Denis Franceschini (now the owner of Bar Italia), Bebber relocated to New York City in 1998. He was welcomed into the Cipriani family and quickly hired as sous chef at Harry Cipriani. Bebber served as sous chef, and then executive chef, at Cipriani locations throughout Manhattan for over a decade. Bebber was hired as executive chef to open Caravaggio in 2009 where he developed contemporary Italian fare to please the sophisticated palates of the Upper East Side crowd.
Chef Bebber is currently the executive chef at Sirio Ristorante New York where he now puts his own twist on the restaurant’s seasonal Italian cuisine.