These appetizing treats are simple to prep ahead of time and quick to cook. I like offering a variety of items, so I do some with chicken and some with sea scallops, but just one is fine as well. Pork tenderloin and cubed filet meat also work very well for this. The glaze recipe can be made in advance and just brushed on close to the end of cooking (or if you are in a real pinch for time a bottle of teriyaki glaze works great as well!)
- 1 pound pepper bacon
- 2 fresh chicken breasts (approximately 6 oz each)
- 1 pound sea scallops
- Tamarind Soy Glaze (recipe below)
Tamarind Soy Glaze
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
How to make Tamarind Soy Glaze
- Add all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer until reduced by 1/3. Add cornstarch slurry and whisk, then bring back to a boil while whisking. Lower heat and simmer until desired thickness is reached.
- Wrap scallops in bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Cut Chicken Breasts into pieces approximately the size of a quarter.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each piece and secure with a toothpick. Take care to not allow chicken and scallops to get near each other.
- Place chicken pieces on grill and allow to cook for 2 minutes, then flip.
- Add scallops to grill. After 2 minutes flip all pieces and brush with glaze.
- Allow to cook for 2 minutes, flip pieces, brush side with glaze and allow to cook for 1 more minute then place on platter for serving.