In this week's edition of Meatless Monday, pressed tofu is marinated with Dijon mustard, strawberries and honey, then breaded with flakey Panko breadcrumbs and cashews before being baked crisp in the oven. Strawberries are reduced with honey and balsamic vinegar to balance the sweet and savory in this playful dinner. This recipe comes to us from Kelly of The Pink Apron.
For the mustard encrusted tofu:
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon strawberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon cashews, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the balsamic strawberries:
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
- 2 teaspoon honey
- Wrap the block of tofu in a clean towel, place the tofu in a colander and place the colander in the sink. Place a plate, heavy can or other weight over the towel-covered tofu and leave the weight to press the tofu for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tofu from the towel. Cut the tofu crosswise into 4 slices and then cut each slice diagonally so you have 8 triangles. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the Dijon mustard, strawberries and honey into a food processor. Process until smooth. Pour the Dijon strawberry honey mixture into a shallow plate or baking dish.
- Place the bread crumbs, cashews, salt and pepper together on a separate plate.
- Dip each pressed tofu slice into the mustard mixture, coating well on both sides. Then place the tofu in the bread crumbs, taking care to make sure the tofu is well coated. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes per side, or until the tofu is crispy and golden on both sides.
- Place the strawberries, honey, cashews and balsamic vinegar together in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the strawberries are soft.
- Divide the tofu on 4 plates, top with the balsamic strawberries and enjoy.