Chef Dale Talde coats chicken wings in a rich flour batter before, deep frying and tossing with a sweet and spicy kung pao- inspired sauce, topped with chopped peanuts, cilantro, scallions and served with a buttermilk ranch sauce.
For the Schezuan oil:
- 2 tablespoon annatto seed
- 1 Each star anise
- 1 tablespoon schezuan peppercorn
- 2 cup vegetable oil
For the Kung Pao Sauce:
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup and 2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup and 2 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup and 2 Tablespoons chili bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup and 2 Tablespoons schezuan oil (recipe above)
For the Wing Batter:
- 2 cup rice flour
- 1 cup water
For the Buttermilk Ranch:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 Packet of ranch powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Chopped peanuts
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced scallions
- Bring everything up in cold oil. Steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain and Reserve.
- Preheat oil to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix rice flour and water until smooth. Rinse and dry chicken wings.
- Dredge wings in wing batter and fry until golden brown.
- Drain excess oil off wings then toss in kung pao sauce.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts, chopped cilantro and sliced scallions. Serve with buttermilk ranch.
About the Chef
Former “Top Chef All-Stars” contestant, Dale Talde, has taken the NYC dining scene by storm with his popular Asian-American restaurant, TALDE, a casual, seasonal restaurant, Thistle Hill Tavern, and his roadhouse-style bar, Pork Slope, all located in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Dale’s known for his unpretentious, creative and delectable fare, along with his fun, easygoing sense of humor. After graduating from the prestigious Culinary Institute of America, he began his career in his native Chicago working alongside such famed chefs as Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Shawn McClain and Carrie Nahabedian. He moved to NYC in 2005 to further his career and landed at Morimoto. He then worked at Buddakan, where his was Chef de Cuisine, and just prior to launching TALDE he was Director of Asian Concepts for STARR Restaurants, owners of Morimoto, Buddakan and many other restaurants in NYC, Philadelphia and Miami.