Chef Michael Ferraro is known for his twists on American classics at Soho’s popular Delicatessen restaurant in NYC and his wings are no different – taking this quintessential American comfort food, Chef Ferraro uses fresh ingredients and classic technique to offer addicting classic buffalo wings available all year round.
Ingredients for wings:
- 12 chicken wings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
Ingredients for Hot Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambal
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
Ingredients for Blue Cheese Fondue:
- 1/2 tablespoon Wondra flour (you can substitute all-purpose)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter (for roux)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup good quality blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Celery heart leaves to garnish
- Mix all-purpose flour and cornstarch together in a large bowl. Heat oil to 300 degrees in a heavy, four-quart pot (test with an oil thermometer). Don't fill pot more than halfway with oil.
- Dredge chicken in dry mixture, allow to fully coat the pieces and shake off excess flour.
- Fry for 8 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Toss wings and drumettes with Hot Sauce (recipe below) and pile on a platter. Serve with Blue Cheese Fondue (recipe below) and garnish with celery leaves.
- In a small saucepan, heat all hot sauces and bring to boil.
- Pour hot sauce in blender, turn on low speed and slowly add small cubes of butter until melted and emulsified into a creamy sauce. Make sure that the blender lid is secure so the hot liquid doesn't splash.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour to make a roux. Cook on medium heat but watch and adjust heat carefully so roux bubbles but doesn't burn.
- Cook for 3 minutes. Slowly add milk and whisk until the roux comes to a boil and thickens. Turn heat to low and slowly add blue cheese to sauce until melted and emulsified.
- Season with salt, pepper, and fresh lemon juice to taste.
About the Chef:
Chef Michael Ferraro’s experience in New York’s most prestigious kitchens includes: Beacon Restaurant, Jean-Georges restaurants, Fifty Seven Fifty Seven at the Four Seasons Hotel, as well as the Biltmore Room and Café Centro. Ferraro began his work at Delicatessen in 2008, elevating the cuisine and continuing to keep things fresh and fun, season after season. Ferraro is also the Creator and Executive Chef of macbar, a restaurant fully dedicated to gourmet macaroni & cheese.