At NYC's Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina, located inside Chelsea Market, chef Francesco Berardinelli serves a selection of brunch items that range from savory to sweet and conventional to more authentic Italian. This recipe hinges on the savory side of the palate. It is a rich mix of fresh vegetables, eggs and cheeses; the perfect way to start your morning.
- 2 Eggs
- 4 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon celery (medium dice)
- 1 tablespoon yellow beets (medium dice)
- 1 tablespoon red onions (julienne)
- 1 tablespoon potato (medium dice)
- 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese (medium dice)
- In a sauté pan, roast the vegetables with some olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, the heavy cream and the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Add some salt.
- Add the roasted vegetables and mozzarella cheese into egg mix.
- Place in a cast iron skillet that has been previously sprayed with pam.
- Cook in the oven at 320 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Serve with a mesclun salad on top.
- Drizzle with aged balsamic.
About Chef Francesco Berardinelli
A native of Verbania, Italy, Francesco Berardinelli serves as the Executive Chef of Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina. After opening his first restaurant--Osteria Di Rendola--in 1994, chef Berardinelli opened a second restaurant—Beccofino--in 1998, receiving critical acclaim both domestically and internationally. Since 2004, he has traveled the world as a consultant and culinary teacher, helping to open restaurants, design menus, and train staff in Hong Kong, China, Japan, Dubai, Singapore, Italy and the U.S