At NYC's Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina, located inside Chelsea Market, chef Francesco Berardinelli serves a selection of brunch items that range from savory to sweet and conventional to more authentic Italian. This dish merges Italian and American cuisine in a unique mix of savory and sweet flavors.
- 1 Slice of Pandoro bread (Perbellini)
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon orange honey
- 5 Whole strawberries
- Slice Pandoro into 1-inch thick slices.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and the cream. Submerge the sliced Pandoro into the mix.
- In a hot sauté pan, melt the butter and sear the bread on both sides.
- Finish with powder sugar, orange honey and sliced strawberries on top.
About Chef Francesco Berardinelli
A native of Verbania, Italy, Francesco Berardinelli serves as the Executive Chef of Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina. After opening his first restaurant--Osteria Di Rendola--in 1994, chef Berardinelli opened a second restaurant—Beccofino--in 1998, receiving critical acclaim both domestically and internationally. Since 2004, he has traveled the world as a consultant and culinary teacher, helping to open restaurants, design menus, and train staff in Hong Kong, China, Japan, Dubai, Singapore, Italy and the U.S