This is a holiday brunch staple at my house. You can either bake this in casserole dish to share or in ramekins for individual portions. The peanut butter gelato and raspberries give it that ‘childhood favorite’ touch but you can top it with anything you like. Try substituting chocolate ice cream and sliced fresh bananas.
- 6 Large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half & half
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 8 Large croissants, torn into pieces
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- Peanut butter gelato
- Lots of powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, salt, sugar and cinnamon and vanilla. Whisk until eggs become pale and all ingredients are combined. Add milk, half & half, zest and liqueur. Whisk together until smooth and well combined.
- Add torn croissants at once and toss using a large spoon or spatula to coat and saturate the croissants.
- Allow to sit 10 minutes.
- Gently place mixture in large, buttered casserole dish and spread loosely yet evenly in pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and set. Remove from oven and allow to cool before dusting generously with powdered sugar.
- To serve, scoop portions into ramekins and garnish with 1 tablespoon of raspberry jam, fresh raspberries and peanut butter gelato.