Mozzarella, tomatoes and basil is a classic that can’t be beat. Dried cranberries and toasted pine nuts add texture and crunch to modernize this Mediterranean standard. This recipe was created by Meatless Monday’s Recipe Editor Joey Lee
For the Cranberry Relish
- 1/2 Red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 2/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
To complete the Mozzarella Relish Medley
- 4 Large tomatoes, cores removed and cut horizontally
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, cut horizontally into slices
- 4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Submerge the chopped onion into a bowl of ice water. Set aside. Spread pine nuts out onto a large baking sheet and toast in the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until they begin to smell nutty and turn a golden-brown. Set aside.
- Drain the onion and transfer combine with the lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, onion and cranberries. Season the cranberry mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Let onion cranberry relish sit for 30 minutes.
- After relish sits, add half the fresh basil and the toasted pine nuts.
- Spread out the slices of one tomato and top each one with a layer of fresh mozzarella. Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil over the tomatoes and mozzarella and salt to taste. Place a few tablespoons of the onion cranberry relish on the mozzarella and garnish with a few slices of fresh basil on top.