The Torrada de Jamon y Huevo offers diners a Spanish twist on a classic American breakfast dish: the bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. Our version is made with a mixture of mahon and tetilla cheese that is melted on toasted brioche bread and topped with piperrade, fried egg, and several slices of Serrano ham. It makes for the perfect, satisfying breakfast sandwich with an upgraded and Spanish twist.
- 2 square pieces of brioche bread
- 2 big tbps of piperrade
- 1 ounce Jamon Serrano thinly sliced
- 1/2 ounce mahon cheese
- 1/2 ounce tetilla cheese
- 2 Eggs
- Olive oil
For the Piperrade
- 5 Green peppers
- 5 Red peppers
- 2 Spanish onions
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 1 pint Roasted tomatoes in oil
- 1 cup olive oil
- Grate both cheeses and mix them.
- Heat up the piperrade in a sauce pan.
- Sear the brioche bread on the plancha.
- Put cheese mix on top. Heat up in the oven.
- At the same time, sear the eggs on the plancha.
- Remove the brioche from the oven. Add the piperrade on top, then the eggs on top of the piperrade.
- Add the slices of Jamon Serrano on top.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil on top.
- Serve with a side of salad and French fries.
- Cut the onions and peppers in julienne.
- Cut the garlic in slices.
- Cut the tomato in julienne.
- In a rondo, add the olive oil and the garlic, cook for 1 minute then add the onions and the peppers, sweat for at least 1 hour, it should be very soft, like a marmalade texture but without any color.
- Add tomatoes and cook for about 5 more minutes.
About the Chef
A native of Barcelona, Chef Marc Vidal grew up in his family¹s restaurant and learned how to cook from his grandmother. Vidal later left Spain to work at some of the most acclaimed restaurants in the world, including El Bulli and Alain Ducasse, before bringing his passion for authentic Catalan cuisine to all three locations of Boqueria. Now, he is the master of Spanish tapas both in NYC and DC, serving up authentic, inspired, and delicious small plates.