This breakfast casserole is the perfect all-in-one dish to serve for brunch. It’s a hearty, flavorful centerpiece that will disappear quickly at your Mother's Day table. Sausage and eggs are a classic combination, and yogurt is the special ingredient that gives this dish its fluffy texture. Cubes of whole grain bread add depth, and scallions round out the flavor. The ingredients can be prepared the night before, so all you need to do in the morning is put the casserole in the oven. Spend more time with your guests this Mother's Day by preparing this make-ahead meal. Everyone will thank you for it.
- 2 cup whole wheat bread cubes
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 6 ounce breakfast sausage or bacon, sliced or broken into bite-sized pieces
- 12 Eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt (regular or Greek)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon diced scallions
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Spread the bread cubes evenly in the bottom of the baking pan.
- Blanch the asparagus for a minute or two in boiling water, until just tender. Place the asparagus in the baking dish on top of the bread.
- Add the chopped sausage or bacon to the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, mustard powder, and salt. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the scallions on top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until eggs are set. Serve warm.