When grilling season hits, one of life’s simple pleasures is to throw a Portobello mushroom on the grill and let it absorb those delicious smoky flavors. These mushroom sliders so cute they use a dinner roll for a bun. This recipe comes to us from our friends at The Mushroom Council.
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/4 cup light balsamic vinaigrette
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Small high-fiber whole grain dinner rolls
- 8 Slices red onion
- 8 Slices tomato
- Place the portabellas and vinaigrette in a large zip top bag. Zip and lightly rub the vinaigrette into the mushrooms. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes. Prepare the grill or a grill pan with a light layer of nonstick cooking spray. Line a plate with a layer of paper towels.
- Remove the mushrooms from the bag, drain and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the grill to medium and place the mushrooms gill side down. Cook for 4 minutes, flip and repeat on the other side for about 4 minutes more, or until the both mushrooms are almost cooked through.
- Transfer the mushrooms to the paper lined plate, gill side down. Cut each mushroom into quarters and place each quarter on the bottom half of the dinner rolls. Top each with tomato, onion and the remaining dinner roll half and enjoy.