Tempeh is browned and seasoned spicy before being paired with red onion to top a hot sauce covered crust. Blue cheese’s pungent flavor bounces off the spicy crust, but is mellowed when blended with mozzarella. This recipe comes to us from Jamie Horne of A Healthy JD.
- Pizza dough, rolled out on a floured surface or 1 low fat premade pizza crust, thawed
- A little canola oil, for preparing the tempeh
- 1 8-ounce package of tempeh, diced bite size
- 6 tablespoon hot sauce, divided
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, or the temperature instructed on the pizza dough package. Prepare a skillet with a light coating of canola oil.
- Place the prepared skillet over medium-high heat and ad the tempeh. Sauté for 5 minutes on each side, or until the tempeh has browned on all sides. A minute or so before the tempeh has finished browning, douse it with about 2 tablespoons of the hot sauce until the tempeh is fully coated.
- Brush your crust with a little canola oil. Spread the remaining 4 tablespoons hot sauce over the prepared pizza crust, leaving room on the edges for the crust.
- Place the browned tempeh and diced red onions on top of the hot sauce coated crust. Sprinkle the blue cheese and mozzarella over the tempeh and onions.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or according to package instructions, until the crust is golden brown and enjoy!