Local New England cranberries are given the sweet treatment in this breakfast classic.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 1 loaf brioche, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- Butter or cooking spray, for griddle
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice, from about 1 medium lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or defrosted
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Heat a nonstick griddle (or pan) over medium heat. Preheat oven to warm.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Dip bread in egg mixture and allow it to soak in, about 1 minute.
- Lightly grease griddle with butter or cooking spray. Working in batches, cook bread until golden, about 3 minutes. Flip and grill until golden and puffed, about 3 minutes more. Keep warm in the oven.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 cups water, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves. Add cranberries and bring back to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for a few minutes. Turn off heat; let sit 1 minute. In a large bowl, whip together mascarpone, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, and confectioners' sugar.
- Remove toast from oven. Place a slice on a plate and top with cranberries and a dollop of mascarpone.