NYC brunch restaurant, The Smith, is known for its signature Vanilla Bean French Toast. The dish consists of fluffy and sweet brioche bread in a crème brulée batter, served with maple butter and caramelized bananas. Chef Glenn Harris comments, "It's a rich, satiating version of a classic dish that both comforts a hangover and makes you want to go back to sleep on a Sunday afternoon."
For the french toast
- 1 1/2 pound loaf brioche bread
- 1 stick butter
- 4 cup heavy cream
- 4 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean scraped
For the caramelized bananas
- 6 ripe bananas
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoon bourbon
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until incorporated. Add vanilla, cream and milk and whisk.
- Slice bread to 1. 5” thickness.
- Place a pat of butter on griddle on medium heat. Dip bread in batter and place on griddle. Cook approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat and slice in half triangles. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, top with caramelized bananas and serve.
- On high heat, place butter and bananas in a large sauté pan.
- Add sugar and let brown until caramelized. When caramelized, add bourbon.
- Flame and cook for one minute or until alcohol dissipates.
- Remove from heat and spoon over French toast.