A rather unusual lot of ingredients, but I promise they marry well together.
Basil Pesto (makes about 2 cups)
- 2 cup fresh basil, packed
- 4 Cloves of garlic
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 4 tablespoon meyer lemon juice (or regular lemon juice)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Lentil Cakes (makes 12 cakes- 2/person)
- 1 1/4 cup lentils
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 1/2 cup leeks, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup parmesan, finely grated
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Wilted Greens (serves 6)
- 15 cup of baby kale, baby chard, spinach- whatever greens you prefer (this sounds like a lot but remember it wilts down significantly.)
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee
- Lemon juice
Lemon Thyme Zucchini Fries
- 6 small zucchini
- 1 cup ghee
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme, finely (regular thyme is fine)
- Very fine zest from 1 meyer lemon (regular lemon is fine)
For Basil Pesto:
- Put first five ingredients into a blender or food processor. While blender/processor is running slowly add the olive oil. Set aside.
For Lentil Cakes- Step 1:
- Soak lentils in filtered water for 24 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour soaked lentils into a pot with the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Strain any remaining liquid from the lentils. Pour half of the lentils into a bowl. Pour the other half into a food processor and pulse a few times. Combine all lentils.
- Heat the tablespoon of ghee in a skillet over medium heat. Add leaks and cook until soft. Add minced garlic and cook for one minute.
- Combine lentils, leeks, mint parmesan, egg and salt.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup scoop out lentil mixture and press to form a patty. Repeat 11 more times or until all of the mixture has been used. Place patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes.
For Wilted Greens:
- Heat ghee in a large pan. Add greens and cook until wilted. Squeeze in lemon juice (however much you desire) and sprinkle with salt.
Lemon Thyme Zucchini Fries- Step 1:
- Using a julienne peeler create thin zucchini sticks.
- Heat the ghee in a pot for frying.
- Combine lemon thyme and zest in a bowl.
- When the ghee begins to bubble turn heat down slightly and carefully add the zucchini fries. I did mine in three batches.
- Once browned transfer fries to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt and thyme/ zest mixture. Repeat until all fries are cooked
- Place some greens on a plate followed by a lentil cake. Add a dollop of pesto, more greens and second lentil cake. Top with pesto and a handful of fries. Enjoy!