This veggie and goat cheese omelet from Cooking Light The Food Lover’s Healthy Habits Cookbook (December 2012, Oxmoor House) is simple yet satisfying.
- 1/2 (20-ounce) Package refrigerated red potato wedges, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounce presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 teaspoon butter, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup bagged baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes to pan; saut. 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushrooms and 14⁄ teaspoon salt; saut. 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Melt 2 teaspoons butter in pan over medium-high heat. Combine eggs, remaining 14⁄ teaspoon salt, and pepper in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until eggs are frothy. Pour half of egg mixture into pan; stir briskly with a heatproof spatula for about 10 seconds or until egg starts to thicken. Carefully loosen set edges of omelet with spatula, tipping pan to pour uncooked egg to sides. Continue this procedure 10 to 15 seconds or until almost no runny egg remains.
- Remove pan from heat; arrange half of potato mixture, 1⁄2 cup spinach, and 14⁄ cup cheese over omelet in pan. Run spatula around edges and under omelet to loosen it from pan. Fold omelet in half. Slide omelet from pan onto a platter. Cut in half crosswise. Repeat procedure with remaining butter, egg mixture, potato mixture, spinach, and cheese.
With over 250 test-kitchen tested recipes, an exclusive Healthy Habits 6-Week Meal Plan, and instructive photos, The Food Lover’s Healthy Habits Cookbook is a guide for establishing fulfilling new routines and adopting achievable goals. Plus, it encourages people to enjoy food, not fear it. All the recipes will help meet the specific goals outlined in each chapter.