Serve these open-faced egg, ricotta and arugula sandwiches from Cooking Light Crave! (February 2013, Oxmoor House) at your next brunch, but make sure to advise your guests to eat them with a knife and fork.
- 4 (2-ounce) Slices whole-wheat country bread
- Cooking spray
- 2 cup arugula
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat broiler.
- Coat both sides of bread with cooking spray. broil 2 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted.
- Combine arugula, 2 teaspoons oil, juice, 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, and 14⁄ teaspoon pepper; toss gently.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. add remaining 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Crack eggs into pan; cook 2 minutes. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until whites are set. remove from heat.
About Cooking Light Crave!
Cooking Light Crave! is stuffed with classic handheld and indulgent foods you love: Cheesy pizzas, juicy burgers, sandwiches piled high, and decadent sweets. Lightened recipes turn these nutritional no-no’s into eats you can enjoy.