This recipe is from Donna Kelly of Apron Springs via Meatless Monday. Cutting the beet into hearts makes this salad appear time consuming, but is so simple, it only takes minutes to make. Red beets get their beautiful crimson color from phytonutrients, which also provides detoxification and anti inflammatory benefits.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 medium beets, peeled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 head butter lettuce, cleaned and torn bite size
- 4 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk the olive oil and balsamic vinegar together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the beets 1/4 inch thick and cut them into heart shapes using cookie cutters or a knife.
- Transfer the beet hearts to a baking sheet. Drizzle with the canola oil, sprinkle with the salt and place in the oven. Roast for 30 minutes, or until softened.
- Dress the lettuce with the balsamic vinaigrette in a large bowl, tossing to ensure the dressing is evenly distributed. Divide into 4 servings and top each with equal amounts goat cheese and almonds. Lay the roasted beet slices artistically on each salad and enjoy!