Yogurt with spinach tempered with fresh curry leaves. This is refreshing and cooling accompaniment, which is a good way of adding iron to your diet. It can be served with biryanis, curry dishes or as a dip with crackers or pappad. Here I have added a bit of tadka to it, which if you prefer you can choose to skip.
- 2 cup spinach
- 2 cup low-fat yogurt, nicely beaten with a whisk
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
For the Tadka
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 Curry leaves (Meethi Neem), chopped
- Grind the spinach in a blender by adding a little water.
- In a large bowl mix together the yogurt, milk, spinach puree, salts and cumin powder.
- For the tadka, heat the oil in a small skillet and add the mustard seeds. Let them crackle then add the curry leaves.
- Sprinkle it on top of the raita along with some red chili pepper. Serve it cool.
Parul Mehra is a food bloggger who specializes in creating Indian family dishes handed down from generations. She focuses on recipes that are based on ingredients used in everyday home and works to remove the fear factor that people associate with Indian cuisine.