The dish is a fun take on popcorn with a savory twist. The popcorn is highlighted by the classic taste of caramel, coupled by peanut butter and then the bacon adds some flare to the overall dish. Everyone loves popcorn, it's a staple everywhere you look- whether you're going to the movies to hanging out at home, and this recipe ups the ante by making the classic dish something everyone can enjoy for dessert.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 1 pound of bacon- cooked extra crispy
- Pop popcorn with oil in a large pot on the stove. The cover pot while cooking or risk eye injury. You know the popcorn is ready when the popping slows to 1 pop per 3 seconds.
- Pour popcorn on to a cookie sheet lined with a silpat. Sprinkle salt, peanuts and crumbled bacon over the popcorn.
- Heat the sugar, corn syrup and a ½ cup of water until light amber in color. Pour evenly over the corn. mix with a heat proof spatula to try and evenly coat the mixture. place in a 350 degree oven for 7 to 10 minutes until the caramel has melted. Work the mixture again with the spatula until every thing is evenly coated.
- Let cool.
About Zac Young
Chef Zac Young serves as Executive Pastry Chef at David Burke Kitchen, highly-acclaimed culinary pioneer Chef Burke’s whimsical SoHo restaurant located in The James Hotel in New York City.