Cottage cheese, onions and bell peppers in a tomato based kadai sauce.
Kadai paneer is Indian cottage cheese with onions, tomatoes and bell peppers which are seasoned with fenugreek leaves and coriander seeds. It is semi dry and can be eaten along with roti or can be served on the side with a gravy dish. All the below ingredients are easily available in the Indian grocery stores or online. You can replace paneer with tofu.
- 2 whole red chilies
- 3 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 Cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 5 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 400 gram paneer, 1" cubes
- 1 Green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek leaves, crushed
- 2 tablespoon cilantro leaves
- To make the kadai sauce, grind the red chillies and 2 tbsp coriander seeds into a coarse powder. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a medium pan and add the coarse powder to it. Sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook it till it becomes slightly brown. Add tomatoes, salt and sugar and cook on medium high heat for 15 mins or till the tomatoes are slightly soft.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan and add slightly crushed coriander seeds to it and cook for 2 minutes. Now add the peppers and sauté them for 5 minutes. Stir in the paneer and kadai sauce and the fenugreek leaves.
- Cook till nicely incorporated. Sprinkle the cilantro leaves. Serve it with naan, roti or rice.
Parul Mehra is a food bloggger who specializes in creating Indian family dishes handed down from generations. She focuses on recipes that are based on ingredients used in everyday home and works to remove the fear factor that people associate with Indian cuisine.