Esca’s Chef Dave Pasternack's sauteed wild mushrooms goes perfectly with pan-seared striped bass with roasted sweet potatoes.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Pound assorted wild mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon (omit if using black trumpet mushrooms)
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high flame. When the pan is hot, place the mushrooms to cover the surface (the pan should still be roomy), and toss to coat in the oil; do this in batches if necessary. Season with the salt and pepper, and let the mushrooms sit, undisturbed, for about 2 minutes, before turning. When the mushrooms have softened and browned, add a squeeze of lemon juice, toss to coat, and remove from the heat. Repeat, if necessary, until all the mushrooms are cooked. Serve hot or at room temperature.