Connecticut-native Carey Savona's take on a kale salad includes grated ricotta salata and hazelnuts and is garnished with homemade cherry vinaigrette. You can find it at Heirloom. Make sure to whip up the vinaigrette a day in advanced to the cherries have time to brine.
- 3-4 Large bunches starlight farms kale or green curly kale (washed, dried & trimmed, with heavy stalks removed)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup toasted breadcrumbs, course and toasted
- 3 tablespoon hazelnuts, cleaned and toasted
- 4 ounce block of ricotta salata, grated (be certain to grate fresh on a rasp)
- Sea salt (such as Maldon), to taste
- 1/2 cup cherry vinaigrette
- 2 cup cherries, pitted
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Espelette pepper
For salad- Step 1:
- In a large bowl combine kale, olive oil, lemon juice, cherry vinaigrette, salt, pepper, and toss together.
- Add half of the ricotta salata, half of the breadcrumbs and half of the hazelnuts; toss again.
- To serve, place salad in large bowls, top each with the remaining ricotta salata, hazelnuts, andbreadcrumbs, more olive oil, Maldon sea salt and pepper. Serve.
For Cherry Vinaigrette- Step 1:
- In a sauce pan add water, sugar, vinegar, espelette pepper and salt.
- Bring to a bowl. Pour over cherries and let brine for 24 hours. This is now your vinaigrette and it can be stored or bottled for a few weeks.