West End Market, one of Virginia Tech's premier dining halls, serves up this time-honored classic. Featured in a new cookbook called A Taste of Virginia Tech (Mascot Books), this burger is so juicy and delicious, and is coated in all of the right ingredients- with a mix of cheese, bacon, and barbeque sauce. It is sure to be a hit with your team.
- 2 Pounds ground beef chuck, formed into 6 patties
- 2 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 6 Slices ham
- 6 Kaiser rolls, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 6 Slices American cheese
- 12 Slices cooked bacon
- 3/4 cup barbeque sauce
- 6 Leaves green lettuce
- 1 Large tomato, sliced ⅛ inch thick
- 3 Ounces sliced red onion
- 4 1/2 ounces dill pickle chips
- Preheat a broiler, grill, or grill pan.
- Season both sides of hamburger patties with the steak seasoning. Cook hamburgers to an internal temperature of 155 F, remove and cover in foil to keep warm.
- Place the ham slices on the grill and cook for a couple of minutes on both sides. Meanwhile, brush the inside of the buns with melted butter and toast under the broiler until golden brown.
- To assemble: place a slice of cheese on each burger, then a grilled ham slice. Top with the bacon and transfer to the bottom half of the Kaiser roll. Spoon a couple of tablespoons of the barbeque sauce over each burger.
- Place the lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickle chips over the sauce, and finish by setting the other half of the roll on top
A Taste of Virginia Tech (Mascot Books) compiles 80 of the best recipes in and around campus, from the dining halls, to its tailgate parties- even dishes found in restaurants on Main Street.