What do you get when you mix up peppers, bacon, cream cheese, and sausage? An amazing appetizer with a funny name, that’s what. Try out these “armadillo tails” but don’t be surprised if you end up having to make seconds... or thirds.
- 12 Jalepeno peppers
- 8 Ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 Slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 4 Pounds raw pork sausage
- Slice each jalapeno in half, lengthwise, keeping the stems intact. Remove the seeds, discard, and fill one side of each pepper half with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese. Place a piece of cooked bacon on top of the cream cheese.
- Ball sausage around the entire stuffed pepper, leaving the stem out on one end. Grill or fry in a hot skillet with oil until the outer layer of sausage is browned and cooked through.
- Cooking time will vary depending on size of peppers and how thick you make the sausage layer around the pepper
A Taste of Virginia Tech (Mascot Books) compiles 80 of the best recipes in and around campus, from the dining halls, to its tailgate parties- even dishes found in restaurants on Main Street.