Start your day off right with these breakfast crepes from B&B Winepub's executive chef Josh Capon.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Eggs
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 pound baby spinach cooked, squeezed dry
- 1 pint milk
- 1/4 pound butter
- 4 ounce all purpose flour
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Crepes
- Béchamel sauce
- 4 ounce sliced country ham
- 4 ounce sliced gruyere
- 6 Eggs
- Olive oil
For crepes- Step 1:
- Whisk ½ cup milk into ¼ cup of flour along with the pinch of salt. Add eggs one at a time than strain through a fine strainer. Add melted butter.
- Heat a 12 inch non stick pan over med-high heat. Add 1 tsp olive oil.
- With a 2 oz ladle add batter to the pan and swirl around evenly.
- When the edges start to turn brown flip using a rubber spatula and continue to cook for about 20 seconds. Remove from the pan onto a serving plate.
- Repeat this step until you have used all of the batter stacking the crepes on top of one another. You should have 6 crepes.
For Béchamel- Step 1:
- Melt ¼ lb butter in a saucepan.
- Whisk in flour to get the consistency of wet sand. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Bring milk to a simmer.
- Whisk in butter flour mixture little at a time until thick.
- Mix béchamel into spinach and season to taste with salt , pepper and nutmeg.
For Breakfast Crepes- Step 1:
- To assemble, spread creamed spinach onto half side of the crepe. Add a slice of ham and two slices of gruyere. Close to form half moons.
- Put crepe in a 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a six inch non-stick pan with one tsp of olive oil.
- Crack egg into pan season with salt and pepper and fry on low heat until the whites are set. About 5 minutes.
- To serve, take crepe out of oven and put on a plate. Top with the egg and serve