The Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup at Canada’s Le Cellier restaurant in Epcot is like a meal, especially with a good piece of crusty bread.
- 1/4 pound smoked bacon (finely chopped)
- 1 Medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrot (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 cup whole milk (scalded)
- 2 cup chicken stock (scalded)
- 12 ounce grated or shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3 Dashes of hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beer (dark ale preferred)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped chives for garnish
- Sauté the bacon in large, heavy-bottom, non-reactive soup pot over medium heat until wilted but not browned.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook until onions are translucent and bacon has crisped.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and stock, a little at a time, blending well to ensure that there are no lumps. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and beer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve.