Many doctors say that it's important to get your fix of dark, leafy greens as much as possible. Well, while some of us love munching on the healthy stuff, others might need a little convincing. Embrace the triple dose of iron with this beloved risotto verde recipe. This hued dish will leave you saying, "That was healthy?" Well, not entirely, but...
- 6 cup chicken broth, preferably bouillon-based
- 1 Small onion, sliced lengthwise
- 3 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 Kale, chopped and blanched
- 4 Fresh spinach, chopped and blanched
- 2 Wild arugula, chopped
- 1 cup fresh peas, boiled
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- Salt and pepper, for taste
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan, lower the flame and keep to the side.
- In a large wok, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until golden, then add the rice and make sure it is completely coated in the oil.
- Cook for 3 minutes and then add the white wine, again making sure it's coated.
- After, add 1/2 cup of broth at a time into the rice until it is completely absorbed and cooked al dente, reserving 1 cup of broth.
- Add in the kale and the spinach and cover with lid. After 3 minutes, add the arugula and the peas.
- Pour the remaining cup of broth, sprinkle a layer of Parmesan on top, no more then 1/2 cup, and cover with lid. After 4-5 minutes, remove lid and serve, adding Parmesan, salt, and pepper to taste.